Firearms owners are responsible for the safe handling and storage of their firearms. Owners should be informed and take all preventative measures to ensure the safety of everyone in the residence.
General Firearm Handling:
- Treat every firearm as if it were loaded.
- Keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.
- Keep your finger off of the trigger. Don't rely on the safety device of the firearm.
- Keep the firearm unloaded when not in use.
Store firearms in a safe and secure manner:
- Firearm Lock - These are available as a cable lock or trigger lock and often available at gun shops or police departments.
- Firearm Case - A hard case with lock is another secure way of storing a firearm.
- Firearm Safe - This is the most secure method of storage.
Firearm accidents in the residence can be prevented by making sure firearms are kept unloaded and safely stored with the ammunition stored separately.
Always instruct children not to touch or move firearms in the home. If a firearm is located by a child, instruct them to tell the nearest adult or police officer.